Sunday, February 21, 2010

Celebrating LOVE in Connecticut!

This weekend Tyler and I went to Connecticut for our friend Mandy’s wedding. It was so fun to finally be able to see Brian and Mandy get married. Tyler and I met Mandy at Cornell. She was a freshmen our Junior year, and she became involved in Campus Crusade for Christ, where Tyler and I met. She was in my small group, and through the two years that we were at Cornell, she became part of our group of close friends. Her wedding was also a great excuse for a lot of us from our close group of friends to get together. It was extremely special to see Madeleine, who (unfortunately) moved back to California shortly after graduation. It had been 2 years since Tyler and I had seen Madeleine (not okay!) We also got to see Andrew (and Allison), Chris (and Jackie), Joy, Lauren and Amy. Along of course, with Brian and Mandy. Katrina was gracious enough to let Tyler and I stay with her, so we were able to see her and she was able to hang out with us as well.
The wedding was absolutely beautiful! The venues (the Atrium at City Hall, and the Society Room) were gorgeous! Brian attended the Naval Academy so one of the most unique parts of the ceremony was the Sword Ceremony as they exited the Atrium.


Afterwards, we took a brisk walk to the Society Room for the reception, where we had a blast!! I wasn’t about to let something like being 35 weeks and 6 days pregnant stop me from enjoying the party. So we danced the night away, although at times, i think Tyler may have been a little worried about me :) I had forgotten how fun our friends are, and how much I enjoyed just being silly with them. It made me miss them even more, and hope that we can hang out more soon.

All dancing and craziness aside, the wedding was a wonderful time for me to reflect on my own wedding vows. Its been a little over 2 years since Tyler and I got married, and its amazing to look over the short time we've been married, and the long time we've been in a relationship (7 years - can you believe it!?!!?!) and remember what our relationship has withstood. There were many times where we and people around us were not sure that our relationship was going to make it, (or that it should make it), but i think that the defining moment (rightly so) came when we got married. Up until that day, we both had the option of walking away, something that we very realistically considered at times. But once we decided to get married, to go through with it, both of us unequivocally knew what that meant. It meant everything that we said, that in richer or poorer, sickness or health, good times or bad, we were together. That's it. Finito! And there have been moments, even in these short time we have been married, where I have stopped and thought, "this is the sickness part, or the good times part, or the poorer part, [i will be thinking that last part for a while i think..... :)]" I've been able to identify those times, and it takes a conscious decision and commitment on your behalf to continue faithfully and lovingly in a relationship when its not all roses.

It's easy to say "i love you, we'll be together forever!" when things are going okay. But the instance when it is the most difficult to stay faithful, and stay committed is when the person who you love the most and who you need the most hurts you. Unfortunately no one is perfect. So there will be a time when you hurt your spouse deeply, and when they hurt you. And if you are not 100% committed to them before that happens, and if you aren't ready to forgive them in advance, you're doomed. Being able to attend this wedding, witness the exchange of vows, reminded me of my own vows that i made to my husband, and provided the opportunity to renew my commitment to him and our relationship. And the greatest gift that we can give to each other, and our son is this commitment to our marriage, one of the most sacred rituals that there is.

I love you Tyler!

No comments: